Nuffnang

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Slow Roast Pork Belly

It has been quite a while since I last posted seriously. So many things happened at home but now at least things are more settled.
 
But of course, we still have to eat right? :) In any case, let me introduce you to the easiest pork belly made by Nigella. It just needs longer roasting time but the prep time is SUPER FAST. Try it if you are short of time to be in the kitchen for too long. My amendments are made in blue.
 
Ingredients:

1¾ kilograms pork belly (rind scored) I used 1 kg pork belly
4 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons soy sauce
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
 
Method:
 
  1. Get out a shallow dish in which the scored pork will fit snugly and in it whisk together the tahini, soy sauce, lemon and lime juice. Sit the pork on top, skin-side up. You should find the marinade covers the underside and most of the sides, but doesn’t touch the rind: that’s what you want.
  2. Leave the pork in the fridge to marinate overnight, covered with foil, and then take out to return to room temperature before it goes into the oven.
  3. Preheat the oven to 150°C. I set my oven to 130 as it is pyrolytic.
  4. Get out a shallow roasting tin and line with foil.
  5. Transfer the pork to the roasting tin and cook it uncovered for 3½ hours, then turn the oven up to 250°C (I set my oven to 180 thereafter) and cook for a further ½ hour to let the skin crisp to crunchy burnished perfection.
 
 
Can you even see how crisp the pork belly skin is? To be honest, I followed this recipe to the T. Literally, no seasoning was on top of the skin. But yet it tastes perfectly fine :) I love it. Mr G was observing me chop up the pork belly with the cracking sounds made with each cut. Haha!! He was trying so hard to resist it.
 
Mr G also made his signature coleslaw. He always say it is a secret on how to make it so I just leave it to him to make it. And guess what? It tastes really good!
 
 
I also made some garlic mushroom quinoa to complement the coleslaw and roast pork belly of course ;) For the quinoa, it was pretty quick. I washed the quinoa as mine is the regular type. I made about 1/2 cup so I poured it into the pot and added 1 cup water (always remember it is quinoa 1 part to water 2 parts. Once it was cooked/fluffed, I let it stand in a bowl. I added olive oil to a pot, added about 1-2 tbsp garlic and stir fried it with some cremini mushrooms. Then I added the quinoa. After stir frying to blend everything together, I added halved cherry tomatoes to stir fry for abit. Then it is ready.  Fast right?
 
I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs August Potluck.
 

 

No comments: